Learn about wilate
Developed specifically to treat VWD
Living with von Willebrand Disease (VWD) can be difficult. VWD itself is a complex disease with symptoms and diagnosis that can be very complicated. Even the treatment of VWD can be complicated. At Octapharma, we understand these challenges and the importance of finding a treatment that’s right for you. This is why we created wilate – the only von Willebrand Factor (VWF) / Factor VIII (FVIII) Complex developed specifically for the treatment of VWD. 1-3
wilate is approved by the FDA for use in children and adults with VWD for on-demand treatment and control of bleeding episodes and for the management of bleeding in surgery.1 wilate is not approved for hemophilia A.
wilate replaces both VWF and FVIII proteins that you may not have enough of, or that may not work properly to make your blood clot. Both factors play important roles in blood clotting. 1,2,4
A balanced 1:1 ratio of VWF and FVIII
- The ratio of VWF to FVIII in wilate is 1 to 1. In other words, wilate contains equal proportions of VWF and FVIII
- This 1:1 ratio is significant because it is similar to the ratio of VWF to FVIII that is found naturally in the body
wilate is a high-purity VWF/FVIII Complex
- wilate is purified through a series of carefully controlled processing steps, all designed to minimize impurities and help reduce the risk of side effects.
- wilate is made from large pools of human plasma that has been collected in Octapharma plasma centers that are licensed by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- All plasma undergoes extensive testing for evidence of a wide range of viruses, including human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B virus (HBV), and hepatitis C virus (HCV). Any plasma that has evidence of these viruses is rejected.
Double virus inactivation processes
Additional steps in the purification process help ensure that wilate is a safe, high-purity treatment for VWD.
- A proven and established method used widely in the purification of products made from human plasma
- Inactivates viruses by breaking down the outer layer that surrounds them (sometimes called ‘an enveloped virus’6
- Effective against enveloped viruses, such as HIV, HBV, HCV and West Nile Virus.
- Developed to supplement the S/D process
- Uses dry heat (100°C, for 2 hours) to inactivate viruses
- Effective against a broad spectrum of both enveloped and non-enveloped viruses
- wilate Full Prescribing Information. Hoboken, NJ: Octapharma; rev 2016.
- Kessler CM, et al. Thromb Haemost. 2011;106:279-288.
- Stadler M, et al. Biologicals. 2006;34:281-288.
- Gale AJ. Toxicol Pathol. 2011;39(1):273-280.
- Berntorp E, et al. Haemophilia. 2009;15:122-130.
- Farrugia A. Guide for the assessment of clotting factor concentrates. World Federation of Hemophilia. Last update 2008. Available at: http://www1.wfh.org/publication/files/pdf-1271.pdf. Accessed August 4, 2012.